Monday, February 4, 2013

Preparing for College...

For every sports team in a High School, there are a few players who have aspirations to go on to play in the next level. In sports such as football, coaches are looking for the biggest, fastest, and strongest players they can find, put them all on one team, and expect to win. Unfortunately, this mentality has not been solely secluded into football; it is now dominant in fútbol within the borders of the United States. I personally am in the process of joining the next level of competition, but am facing the sad truth. I’m not 6'6", I can’t bench 240lbs and I can’t run a 40 yard dash in under 4.3 seconds. The college coaches of today are looking for these types of players’ because the only look for athleticism, not skill. These coaches plan on winning their games through bullying their competition. I am 5'7", obviously not the stature coaches are looking for. So what do players such as me and others like me do? We think. We use our minds to outthink our opponents; we use our skills and outplay them. You can’t make someone think, however you can make someone get on a line and run to get faster. So for those of you who are like me out there, aspiring to play in college: show off your skills, think, and live for a pass, not the goal...

No comments:

Post a Comment