Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Concussions and Fútbol

Over the past several years, I have accumulated seven different concussions; some of which are from soccer. I have finally realized that the repeated head traumas are not worth the long term consequences. For example, a couple years back I was playing in a tournament in Binghamton, NY in which we were getting killed in a game. At one point in the game our keeper was out of position as someone took a shot so I immediately jumped in the way and saved a shot with my head in which I received a concussion. As I think back on the game, we were already losing the game by a few goals, so even if I had let the goal in, it would not have made a difference. At the end of my junior year during soccer season, I had scored 5 goals with my head. I always thought that as long as you don't get hit hard you couldn't have brain problems. But now as new studies are coming out, soccer players who use their head quite often are having similar chemical changes occurring in their brain, found in concussion patients. I have experienced a few symptoms which may continue to turn into long term problems because of my repetitive head injuries. When you get a concussion, the grey matter in your brain is altered by chemicals, which can lead to memory loss, problems concentrating, and depression. Heading the ball during games is an important aspect, but you need to be smart about it. Balance the risks and rewards before going into a game. Play smart. Keep your head safe!


1 comment: