Thursday, March 21, 2013

Hurry up..... and wait.






Last weekend I traveled down to my college for a one-day college ID camp run by Slippery Rocks Men’s head soccer coach. Upon entering I saw there were about 40 or so players who were all very good and had talents that far exceeded mine. At the beginning of the training session we started off with simple passing drills and general warm up to get to know each other a little bit. After that we began playing fútsol, which I had never played before. It is the same game but is played with a smaller and heavier ball to avoid the bouncing on the gym floor, which we were playing on. It took a little getting used to but we just scrimmaged for the entire four hours changing the teams of every 20 minutes or so. This is when I realized that I could compete with these kids and make myself stand out against all the rest of the players. After each game was played, wins and losses were accounted for seeding in the championship tournament. My team ended up being seeded as 2nd. We ended up winning the game 1-0 with myself scoring the game-winning goal. At the end of the session the coach gave advise on recruiting and how the process worked. So I was anxious after being exhausted from play, to hear what the coach had to say but when I began to ask him he simply said, ‘I will keep in touch with you through email and we will go from there.” A pretty vague response I would say. So here I am wondering if I got recruited onto my college team, the one goal I have worked hardest in life to accomplish, and I am waiting on an email. He said that those of you being actively recruited will hear from me “soon.” So what does that mean? Every day that goes by makes it a little more uncomfortable. Hurry up and wait.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, that's tough. The waiting game is the worst. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete